Psychotherapy focuses on specific client goals within a specific time period. There are no “time limits” for individual therapy. However, evidence and research suggests that psychotherapy becomes more effective when both client and therapist work collaboratively on realistic goals that can be achieved within a certain time frame.
Our therapists use several psychological orientations (all evidence-based). In addition, neurobiological education plays a critical role in our therapeutic process. These orientations focus on the relationships that connect thought, emotion, behavior, physical body, and choice. Through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy, Mindful Cognitive Attention (mindfulness-CBT, mindfulness), Acceptance Commitment Therapy (ACT), Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT skills)and Motivational Interviewing, our therapists intend to help you reduce your own symptoms of anxiety, depression, fear, compulsions, and other forms of emotional suffering. In both individual and group therapy, our approach provides you with:
- The tools to understand how thoughts, behaviors and emotions, and behaviors can lead to barriers and unnecessary emotional suffering, increased anxieties, increased depression.
- The skills to help you reduce anxiety, depression, and other forms of emotional suffering … by changing the relationship you have with your thoughts, feelings, moods, and behaviors.
- Empathetic, collaborative, and non-judgmental attention.
- The opportunity to create realistic goals.
- Session-to-session goal adjustment and progress checks
- Emotional support.
Parent Coaching: J & D is committed to the empowerment of parents: Parents who want to raise their children with love and guidance; and parents who want to see their children grow up to be productive and happy adults.
We do this by strengthening family relationships and interactions. We believe that all families are doing the best that they can with the tools they have received. We work with parents to build upon their knowledge in order to cultivate a more peaceful and happy home. Our approach allows us to gain a thorough understanding of family’s beliefs, thoughts, home life, and culture. This allows us to create an intervention plan that makes sense to you and your family. In-Home services benefit to those with transportation barriers, those who can not meet during regular 9 to 5 business hours.
J&D provides the latest in cutting-edge, evidence and research-based parenting and communication skills and interventions. Some of the skills we teach (but not limited to), include:
- Positive Reinforcement, Negative Reinforcement, elimination of undesired behavior
- Limiting Choices
- Active Listening
- Behavior change by approximation
- Modeling consistent behavior
- If … then; Yes … when
- AND (not but)
- Setting up incentive programs and creating natural and logical consequences.
- Giving direct, simple, and clear messages
- The “10 second” rule
- Creative and fun ways to incentivize and problem-solve (including toilet training)
- Creating appropriate expectations
- I Statements
- 1-2-3 Magic
- Broken Record
- Choosing Your Battles
- “Three Bucket” technique for how to parent “explosive children (from How To Parent the Explosive Child by Dr. Ross Greene)”
- Effective Time Outs
- “Follow the Leader (parent)”